There are a few things you want smoky, and even more things you do not want smoky. While you’re grilling there are a few ways to create the perfect fire to achieve that desired smoky taste for meats and veggies. While we’re at it, we’ll include a few tips on how to avoid an unintentional fire and thus a smoke–filled home. For those times when things are beyond your control and your home furnishings get smoky, ServiceMaster DSI is here to offer smoke cleanup in Centennial, CO.
- Use a clean cooking grate – If you start on a dirty cooking grate you’re bound to add a bit of leftover filth to your fresh meal. Avoid the char and grunge by taking the time to scrub the grate before or after each use.
- Try flavored wood chips – If you like a smoky flavor, add some natural flavoring with fresh wood chips. You can get wood chips with added flavoring, or keep it simple. (Pro tip: for cooking, not eating!)
- Keep artificial smoke as a last resort – Cooking indoors or wanting an extra kick? Add artificial smoke, but do so sparingly.
- Take your time – Don’t rush the process. Whether it’s the preheating of charcoal or the slow cooking of a medium steak, have patience!
In order to keep the smoke confined to your delicious food, follow these quick tips:
- Keep your grill away from your home – If it’s too close to your home sparks can rise up and catch your roof on fire, and a flare–up can ignite siding or deck railings. Do not use the grill beneath any type of overhang.
- Don’t use an excessive amount of lighter fluid – It might be fun to soak the coals to boost the flame, but that also makes an unpredictable fire. That flare-up can surprise you, causing you to get burned or even knock over the grill.
- Keep it clean! – As mentioned above, keep your grill clean. When it’s dirty, those dry, charred particles catch fire easily.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby – Be prepared for a worse case scenario by keeping a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Never walk away from your grill – Always have an adult watching the grill to avoid any accidents.
ServiceMaster DSI is here for you when things go wrong and your nightmare becomes your reality. If you’ve faced a fire recently, our trained professionals are able to restore your property and rekindle your dreams. Contact us for smoke cleanup in Centennial, CO today.