During the winter months, when temperatures are low in Centennial, CO, home and business owners often look to alternative sources of heat for areas that are a bit chilly. These alternative forms of heat, however, are the leading causes of fire damage during the months of December, January, and February.
If you use space heaters in your home or business, follow these safety tips to prevent fire damage.
Fire Damage Safety Tips
- Make sure the unit has an automatic shutoff or tip-over safety switch feature to prevent it from igniting carpeting or other items if it tips over
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater. The power draw is too much for low-amp cords and could cause a fire
- Space heaters should never be used in bathrooms or kitchens
- Don’t run cords from space heaters under rugs where they could fray unnoticed
- Never plug space heaters into a power strip; plug them directly into a wall socket
- Keep all items at least two feet away from a space heater while it’s in use
- Keep children and pets away
- Don’t leave the heater on overnight or when you leave the home or building
- If the cord becomes frayed or damaged, do not use the space heater
- Ensure a working smoke detector is in every room where a space heater is used
No matter how big or small the fire is in a building, fire damage is going to happen. Smoke damage, soot damage, and odors are difficult to remove and can be damaging to your health if you attempt to remediate it yourself. Don’t conduct fire damage restoration on your own. Contact ServiceMaster DSI in Centennial, CO. Our trained technicians can be on site quickly to remediate the damage and restore your property.
Fire damage can happen anytime, so we’re available to help 24/7/365. Contact us at (720) 452-2842 immediately if your home or business suffers fire damage.