Flooding of any kind is never welcomed inside a Centennial, CO home, but many people are surprised to find out that even when the flood waters are high, carpets in the home can often be cleaned and restored. The type of flooding is key to determining if carpet cleaning after the flood waters are removed is possible.
The most common flood problems in a home are caused by faulty home appliances such as an ice maker in a refrigerator leaking, a faulty water heater or washing machine, or a dishwasher that springs a leak. For that reason, we recommend never running appliances when you’re not home. While it may seem tempting to throw in that load of wash while you run to the grocery store to save time, if your washer starts spewing water all over your basement then you may not be able to save anything at all. Even just a few inches of standing water can cause a lot of damage and can permanently ruin carpeting.
If the flood waters contain any water that has been contaminated by sewage, then the risks are high, and only professional water damage restoration technicians should be involved. Because these waters contain microbes and dangerous pathogens, the cleaning and disinfecting must be complete, and carpeting is often best replaced, as even professional carpet cleaning may not be enough to save the floorcovering.
When your carpeting is damaged by water, the best practices are as follows:
- If possible, cut the electricity to your home. If you have to wade through flood waters to do this, make sure that you have the proper gear such as waders or high boots, and use a wooden stick to turn off the water
- Contact ServiceMaster DSI immediately at (720) 452-2842 anytime, day or night. We can have technicians dispatched quickly to help
- If you have draperies that have touched the floor, loop them over the rods and allow them to dry
- Don’t attempt to remove any heavy items or floorcovering such as carpets that are permanently in place
- Open doors and windows if the weather allows to increase airflow
Once we arrive on the scene, we’ll assist with water removal and assessment to determine if carpet cleaning is possible. Until that time, limit any walking on the carpeting that you can so that the structure of the fibers and the underlying padding is not compromised.
Flooding is never pleasant to have to deal with in your Centennial, CO home, but with the help of trained water damage experts and carpet cleaning technicians, your damage can be minimized. Contact us for help! (720) 452-2842