Tap To Call Now!

    720.452.2842
    ^

    Extension Cords Can Cause Fire Damage in Homes in Westminster, CO

    fire damage

    The number of electrical appliances we use has increased significantly in the last two decades. It’s crazy now to think about the fact that home computers and cell phones were not a part of most people’s lives back then! As we add more and more gadgets and appliances, it’s not uncommon to run out of outlets, especially in older homes that don’t have as many outlets as newer homes. Outlet extenders and extension cords are a convenient solution, but they can cause fire damage in Westminster, CO.

    When it comes to using outlet extenders and extension cords safely to prevent fire damage restoration, here are some ‘Don’ts’ to keep in mind:

    1. Don’t connect a series of extension cords together. Extension cords are rated to handle specific voltage and wattage. Combining older and newer and differently rated cords is a recipe for disaster. Instead, purchase a new cord that has the Underwriters Seal on it and is the appropriate length.
    2. Don’t use extension cords when you don’t need to. It’s always safer to plug a device or appliance directly into an outlet.
    3. Don’t use cords that are broken or frayed. Check them often to make sure there’s no wear and tear, especially if you have animals in the home that may gnaw on them.
    4. Don’t run cords under carpeting or throw rugs. Friction between the cord and the carpet fabric can cause fraying which can result in a short circuit.
    5. Don’t nail extension cords up and around door frames. Nails could accidently puncture the insulation, contact the wiring, and cause a short circuit.
    6. Don’t plug extension cords into surge protectors. They can overheat and cause the insulation to melt and the wires to become exposed.

    The good news is that many new appliances, phones, and other household items such as printers now offer Bluetooth technology which can reduce the number of cords in your home. The more you stay on top of cord failures and short circuit issues, the less likely you are to have to deal with fire damage in your Westminster, CO home.

    If your home does suffer fire damage due to an electrical fire, we can be on the scene quickly to help. For experienced fire damage restoration services including smoke and soot damage, contact us immediately at (720) 452-2842.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *