Electronic Distribution Overload Can Cause Fire Damage in Boulder, CO, Homes

Today’s world is more plugged in than ever. With most households using electronic items heavily every day such as smartphones, laptops, gaming systems, and tablets, our homes are seeing an upsurge in the usage of electricity. This can especially be risky with older homes in Boulder, CO, which may not have the most up-to-date wiring to handle this increased need.

The Electronic Safety Foundation International (ESFI) lists electrical distribution issues as the 3rd leading cause of house fires. These fires most commonly come from the strain on the system from bedrooms, attics, and kitchens.

How to Look for Warning Signs for Electrical Distribution Issues in your Home

  • Circuit breakers “trip” or fuses “blow” often, especially when using appliances
  • Wall outlets are discolored or feel warm to the touch
  • Lights flicker or dim randomly
  • Buzzing or crackling noises from lights
  • Sparks are emitted from an outlet when you plug or unplug things
  • Electrical cords are warm or hot to the touch
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an appliance

Electrical fires can cause smoke or flames, and both can require fire damage restoration. Even without flames, smoke can cause significant damage to a home. Because the smoke particles are so microscopic, they can easily weave their way into fibers like carpeting, drapes, and upholstery. They also settle into heating vents, drywall and even beneath floorboards. Not only is the smell annoying, but it can also be an emotional trigger for people who have gone through a house fire.

What can you do to help prevent overloaded electrical distribution for your home in Denver, CO?

  • Appliances that are high-drain and heat-producing such as space heaters, hair dryers, toaster ovens, or microwaves should have their own outlet instead of using an outlet splitter
  • Extension cords should only be for temporary use, and never run them under carpeting or rugs
  • Make sure the bulbs you’re using are the correct wattage for the fixture
  • Don’t leave laptops or cell phones in your bed while you sleep

If you have concerns about the electrical system in your home, have your home inspected by a certified electrician. Fire damage can be caused by even a small fire. ServiceMaster DSI is on call 24/7/365 for fire damage restoration services in Boulder, CO. If your home suffers fire damage, contact us immediately at (720) 452-2842.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *